First Attempt Self-Prepared Cookie!
Get my hands on trying out a recipe from a baking recipe book today! The book is Baking by Martha Day. Got to love this book with the many photos of some of the steps to guide you along. 🙂
Without further ado, presenting my first rare baking experience. Of ‘cos, with the help of my lovely husband, Feng. 😀
Caster Sugar + Dark Brown Sugar
Chocolate Chips + Chopped Walnuts
Lovely Lovely Egg
The Mixture of Everything
Ready to go into the Oven
Ready to Eat!
First Batch of Cookies
Ready for Photoshoot!
First batch of cookies turned out really brown and crispy, not really to our liking since we like our cookies softer. That might be due to use baking it for 10 minutes even though our cookie size is smaller and using a dark non-stick pan. Subsequently we adjusted it to 7 1/2 minutes and they turned out less brown and softer. 🙂
Here’s the modified recipe for the Chocolate Chip Cookies taken from the book. Enjoy! 😀
- 115g butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 50g caster sugar
- 110g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 170g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 170g chocolate chips
- 55g walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter or margarine and two sugars together until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, mix the egg and vanilla, then gradually beat into the butter mixture.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Sift the flour mixture into the egg-butter mixture and stir while doing so.
- Add the chocolate chips and walnuts and mix to combine well.
- Place heaped teaspoonfuls of dough 5cm apart on the baking sheet. Bake until lightly colored, 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer to rack to cool.
- Cool completely before storing.
- The recipe is stated as a recipe for 24 cookies. However it might be ‘cos I’m using a smaller size cookie scoop, I have an estimated of 40+ cookies. Twice the amount!
- Do grease your baking sheets before putting the dough. I’m using a dark non-stick pan hence I’m skipping this step.
- Since I’m using a dark non-stick pan, I put the baking timing above as 7-8 minutes. Normal pan should try the recommended timing as specified in the original recipe as 10-15 minutes.